News:

Welcome to the Herolab 4e user added support site.

Main Menu
+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Stats ezBlock

Members
Total Members: 177
Latest: Tdotku1911
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 755
Total Topics: 366
Most Online Today: 13
Most Online Ever: 55
(May 13, 2020, 03:23:39 AM)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 6
Total: 6

Armor at Paragon and above

Started by ledeir, October 23, 2014, 12:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie

Wow, thank you!  :D  I think this is a keeper. One thing that I noticed was that when I was fixing my character that having the wrong level armor also gave me a "Multiple sets of armor equipped" error, but I certainly don't think that's a deal breaker.

Flagging the problem regardless of the order you build the armor in is a huge improvement. Thanks again!

dracusmage

I'll have to see if I can replicate that error, but I'm not quite as concerned about extra errors when there is a problem. I'm far more concerned with error messages when the right thing is happening or no errors when the wrong thing happens.

dracusmage

I can only get the multiple sets equipped error when I actually have multiple sets equipped. I've tried non-proficient armor, too low, to high, wrong enchantment type, but nothing is causing an extra error (beyond when I combine errors like low level armor, with incompatible enchantments and no proficiency).

For example +5 Agile Resolve Vestments on Spiked Plate +11 gives an inferior armor error, and two errors for the enchantment - one telling me that it is the wrong kind of magic item, and one telling me that the enchantment is incompatible with the armor. Strange that it does that twice, but it's probably just checking from both ends. Not a problem, because the errors are both correct anyway, if redundant.

Can you send me a portfolio with a hero with the multiple sets error active?

Charlie

Sure, but it could be an artifact of other changes we've done to the files, and I agree that an extra error isn't that worrisome.

When I change the armor to the +8 version of Plate on my character, I see the extra error.

dracusmage

Your character threw an error about a missing rules file which orphaned something, but that wasn't the problem. All of the base level armors give that error. If you have any basic armor (Cloth +0, Leather +2, Plate +8, etc) all throw a multiple armors equipped error, both when they are enchanted and completely basic and not just for your character. It doesn't do anything foolish, like give a second bonus or something, so everything on the sheet is correct, but it still shouldn't throw an error like that.

I've done some testing and I know what is causing it, but I can't fix it without merging the armor fix into the ddi_armor.user file directly.

Because I wanted to make the lowest grade armors disappear I needed to add the max stat into them, so I did what works everywhere else; I copied them into the new file, changed the id to keep them unique, and added a "replaces" to designate that instead of the normal version the program should toss it away and use this one instead, using its name and everything.

For some reason, the system sees a "replaces" piece of armor twice. The validation code is in thing_validatation.data, but it's nothing complicated that could cause a problem that I can see:
  <!-- Armor thing for validation reporting -->
  <thing
    id="valArmor"
    name="Armor"
    compset="Simple">
    <tag group="Helper" tag="Bootstrap"/>

<!-- Make sure that we don't have multiple sets of armor equipped -->
    <evalrule index="1" phase="Validate" priority="8000" message="Multiple suits of armor equipped"><![CDATA[
      ~if we have no more than one set of armor equipped, we're good
      if (hero.tagcount[Armor.?] <= 1) then
        @valid = 1
        done
        endif

~mark associaated tabs as invalid
      container.panelvalid[armory] = 0
      ]]></evalrule>

</thing>

If we "debug the tags" of the armors, the basic ones load both the fixed version from the fix file, and also the old one without the max stat. arChainmai and arChainm1, for example. Not sure why. Possibly because the armors are both a type and an item so it deletes the replaced one as far as items go, but loads it when the armor is loaded? I dunno. But putting the max stat into the version that is already in the ddi_armor.user file and removing the "1" level in the fix file makes this issue go away.

Charlie

Thank you again! Since we've been concentrating on bug fixes in our group, I just went and put the new higher level armor variants into the ddi_armor.user file along with fixing the base levels.

By the way, I think you missed the base level of Studded Level in your file. I knew that Studded Leather was supposed to match Hide Armor, so it's fixed in our copy.

dracusmage

At this point putting fixes directly into the data files is the right way to do it. When we were still scraping for the data and any month might mean you would be generating all new data files due to a new book or errata having the fixes in external files meant you didn't have to keep fixing the same issues. We are so far past needing to scrape that there is little reason to use a one-off file other than you don't need to do the manual additions and a package update is a long time coming.

This is why I've just started pushing for a source control system to maintain the changes. I don't have the time to go though this forum and find every fix and manually integrate them and generate a new update, and the fact that we are almost a year past the last update pack shows that that's too much time and work for anyone else to do either.

I may not upload a fixed version with Studded Leather, but I probably will integrate it into my source tree.

dracusmage

Some of the fixes for equipment.str need to be placed in editor.dat to make it possible for people who don't love straight-up xml editing to change/view/create the correct field in armors to limit the magic.

I'm not fixing it right now, I just wanted to make a note somewhere so I wouldn't forget that that's an issue.

Not a huge issue, but it's important for completion's sake.

+-Recent Topics

4e wont open due to duplicate files error by Fox Lee
April 14, 2024, 01:01:14 AM

Community Data files update 2023-02-16 by Tdotku1911
September 28, 2023, 08:52:54 PM

Errors from last update by jrmcnz
July 17, 2023, 03:30:56 PM

Community Data files update 2023-04-28 by Fox Lee
April 27, 2023, 09:40:45 PM

3rd Party - Zeitgeist character options by Fox Lee
March 25, 2023, 03:21:38 AM

Community Data files update 2023-03-25 by Fox Lee
March 25, 2023, 02:46:40 AM

Our Unofficial Update for Hero Lab 4e by jklagenberg
February 11, 2022, 09:00:52 AM

Kensei Focus - Paragon Path Feature by Charlie
October 21, 2020, 10:13:36 PM

Warlord Scraper Error Fixes by Fox Lee
April 03, 2020, 08:05:51 PM

Herolab 4e Themes Modification by Cryptoknight
July 27, 2019, 02:47:44 AM

Themes Collection by Cryptoknight

Feats Bug Fixes Package by Cryptoknight

Darksun Themes Package by Cryptoknight

Defensive Feats by Cryptoknight

Theme Framework for HeroLab 5 / 4e 4.0 - .HL version by Daphne

2014 09 20 Release by Cryptoknight

2014-09-29 Download by Cryptoknight
July 27, 2019, 02:47:43 AM

2014 11 13 Download by Cryptoknight
July 27, 2019, 02:47:43 AM

Hybrid Battlemind not working as it should by Sean Abel
July 27, 2019, 02:45:49 AM

Please read this and weigh in - Issue/Source/Document Version Control System by nixxrite
March 29, 2019, 07:14:36 AM

Items, Feats and Magic Armour calculations not working by Charlie
March 28, 2019, 01:13:14 PM

Ring Slots by Krigler
March 04, 2019, 06:38:29 AM

Invoker Damage stats by Charlie
September 08, 2018, 07:55:52 PM

Max hit points by Charlie
September 05, 2018, 10:05:12 PM

I have run into a problem with Power class types by Sean Abel
August 18, 2018, 11:43:05 PM